Asaro is a mashed up yam and vegetables dish. You will enjoy the sweet taste and creaminess of the puna yam used in this recipe.
Nutritional Data (per 100g serving)
Vitamins: C, B6
Minerals: Potassium, Manganese
Notes: Yams are a good source of dietary fibre and have a low-medium glycaemic index.
**Calorie count for this dish will vary depending on the other ingredients used to prepare it.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1. Blend tomatoes, onions and pepper in a blender. Transfer blend into a large pot and bring to the boil. Add seasoning cube water and chilli powder if using. Cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Carefully place yam pieces into the sauce (step1), add 2 cups of hot water and cover, also add sugar if using. Cook under low heat until yam chunks become soft.
3. Using a wooden spoon, gently mash the yam into a smooth creamy paste. Add the sliced spinach and stir in. Allow the spinach to soften then add oil and ground crayfish. Mix carefully and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Serve with stick meat or fried fish.
1. - Yam, Dodo & Chicken Medley
2. - Mixed Roast Vegetables
3. - Jollof Stir Fry
4. - Bean Fritter Burger
5. - Akara & Prawns
6. - Green Pepper Sauce with Rice
7. - Baked Tilapia
8. - Spicy Chicken Salad