This akara and prawns recipe is excellent as a starter or finger food, served hot or cold!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1. Soak beans in water for about 30 minutes. Peel skin off by rubbing together to reveal the white bean shells. Separate these from the skin and rinse well. Blend beans, tomato paste and onion with some warm water (1-2 cups) into a paste. Slowly add water a little at a time to aid blending.
2. Transfer paste into a mixing bowl and mix well for about 3 minutes, you may use a hand held mixer. Add some water and keep mixing until you get a smooth and moderately runny consistency. Dissolve the seasoning cubes in 2 tablespoons of hot water and add to the paste. Add the spring onions. Mix well.
3. Pour some vegetable oil in a shallow frying pan and allow to heat up. Then carefully place a scoop of the bean mixture into the oil. Place the prawns, face down into the frying akara and mould all around the prawn ensuring the prawn tail is visible, (see food image). Allow to fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Place the akara onto some kitchen towel to drain the excess oil.
4. Serve hot or cold. Ideal as a starter.
1. - Yam, Dodo & Chicken Medley
2. - Mixed Roast Vegetables
3. - Jollof Stir Fry
4. - Bean Fritter Burger
5. - Akara & Prawns
6. - Green Pepper Sauce with Rice
7. - Baked Tilapia
8. - Spicy Chicken Salad