Coconut candy is one of the oldest traditionally made sweets known to West Africans! This recipe helps you to discover how to create a really delicious dessert dish from an unlikely source - the coconut.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2-3 people
1. Break coconut and remove shell. Save the coconut water. Scrape off the brown back of coconut and finely grate the white part using a cheese grater.
2. Heat 2 cups of water in a pot, add saved coconut water and sugar. Then add the grated coconut flesh. Cook under low-moderate heat, stirring continuously until browned and all the water has been heated off. Add maple syrup. Stir well.
3. Then, while still warm, carefully spoon the emerging coconut candy into your preferred shaper/mould. Set aside to cool. (The candy in this recipe has been made into flat, round biscuit shapes, see picture.)
4. Serve warm candy with cold ice-cream.
1. - Yam, Dodo & Chicken Medley
2. - Mixed Roast Vegetables
3. - Jollof Stir Fry
4. - Bean Fritter Burger
5. - Akara & Prawns
6. - Green Pepper Sauce with Rice
7. - Baked Tilapia
8. - Spicy Chicken Salad